To provide an environment where one may learn how to soar with one’s strengths and manage one’s weaknesses. The Samara Learning Center will do this with an overall focus on building successful attributes, such as self-awareness, proactivity, perseverance, and goal setting through a 3 part approach: 1.) Samara Day School 2.) M.A.P.L.E. Tutoring 3.) Elective Collective/Community Involvement
The Samara Day School is a school for students with all learning abilities and challenges, such as: dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, Attention Deficit Disorder(ADD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder(ADHD), and high functioning autism spectrum disorder (ASD). It provides multi-modal, multi-disciplinary, and individualized research based programs that facilitate strengthening and compensatory strategies for a child’s area of need while providing opportunities for the child to discover and build upon their strengths.
• Initially for 4th-8th grade, but planning to expand
• Small class size: average 1:6 teacher/student ratio
• College preparatory curriculum
• Multiple and research based instructional strategies
• Daily emphasis on executive functioning skills
• Daily emphasis on building successful attributes*
• Integration of social development skills
• Elective programs including art, music, computer science, and athletics
• Dual enrollment opportunities
• Partnership with local businesses for students to explore and develop skills for post-graduation careers
• Team approach that encourages cooperation and communication between the student, the students’ families, and the various professionals that may also be working with the child: occupational therapists, speech therapists, learning specialists, psychologists, pediatricians, etc.
M.A.P.L.E. Tutoring is a homework tutoring center for students from 4th-12th grade that will provide tutoring in a small group setting (4:1 student to tutor ratio) focusing on building executive functioning skills (organization, time management, etc.) and successful attributes (proactivity, perseverance, etc.). The goal is to provide structure, strategies, and good habits to increase current success while guiding the students to independent long term success. M.A.P.L.E. stands for:
· M = Make Priorities
· A = Always Organize
· P = Proactive Actions
· L = Learning Time Management
· E = Excel
Elective Collective is an elective class (art, music, crafts, etc.) inspired program offering members of the general community, children and adults, classes that encourage the exploration of one’s strengths, creative interests, and curiosity while integrating the Success Attributes and pragmatic skills, such as: time management, finding a mentor, and utilization of resources.
*Note: the “Success Attributes” are based on world renowned Frostig Center’s longitudinal study. http://frostig.org/professional-development/success-attributes/
Part of running Information and Support Groups for ADHD and Dyslexia
Collaboration with the Bend Roots Revival